A dental extraction conjointly mentioned as tooth extraction or informally, tooth pulling is the process of removal of teeth from the dental socket within the alveolar bone. Extractions are performed for a wide variety of reasons, however mostly to get rid of the teeth which has become un-restorable through cavity, periodontal disease particularly after they are related to aching. Generally wisdom teeth are impacted (stuck and unable to grow usually into the mouth) and will cause continual infections of the gum (pericoronitis). In orthodontics if the teeth are huddled, sound teeth may be extracted (often bicuspids) to make space so the rest of the teeth can be straightened.
other reasons for tooth extraction :
- Some people have an extra tooth that blocks the other teeth from coming in.
- Sometimes baby tooth doesn’t fall out in time to allow the permanent teeth to come in.
- People getting braces may need teeth extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place.
- People receiving radiation to the head and neck may need to have teeth in the field of radiation extracted.
- People receiving cancer drugs may develop infected teeth because these drugs weaken the immune system. Infected teeth may need to be extracted.
- Some teeth may need to be extracted if they could become a source of infection after an organ transplant. People with organ transplants have a high risk of infection because they must take drugs that decrease or suppress the immune system.
- Wisdom teeth, also called third molars, are often extracted either before or after they come in. They commonly come in during the late teens or early 20s. They need to be removed if they are decayed, cause pain or have a cyst or infection. These teeth often get stuck in the jaw (impacted) and do not come in. This can irritate the gum, causing pain and swelling. In this case, the tooth must be removed. If you need all four wisdom teeth removed, they are usually taken out at the same time.
Extractions are often categorized as “simple” or “surgical”.
Simple extractions: It is performed on teeth that are visible within the mouth, typically under local anaesthetic, and need solely the utilization of instruments to elevate and/or grasp the visible portion of the tooth.
Generally the tooth is upraised using an elevator, and using dental extractor, rocked back and forth till the periodontal ligament has been sufficiently broken and also the supporting alveolar bone has been adequately widened to make the tooth loose enough to get rid of. Typically, once teeth are removed with extractor, slow, steady pressure is applied with controlled force.
Surgical extractions: It involves the removal of teeth that can’t be simply accessed, either because they have broken underneath the gum line or because they have not erupted totally. Surgical extractions nearly always need an incision.
During a surgical extraction the doctor might elevate the soft tissues covering the tooth and bone and may conjointly take away some of the overlying and/or encompassing jawbone tissue with a drill or osteotome. Frequently, the tooth is also split into multiple pieces to facilitate its removal.
Dr. Deepinder Singh Duggal is committed to providing the best health and dental care available within a warm, welcoming, and safe environment. Our goal is to build long-term relationships with our patients and provide services that are customized and appropriate for each individual.
No matter your current state of dental health or feelings about your teeth, we are experts at helping move patients down the path to complete comfort and optimal dental health, function and aesthetics.
Dr. Deepinder Singh Duggal is dedicated to providing customized care to the discriminating needs of his patients. He offers options for your path to optimal dental health for a lifetime. Each patient is served on an individual basis with plenty of time for treatment and discussion of each visit to insure a comfortable, professional and personal relationship.
Still hunting for the right Dentist? Visit Dr.Deepinder Singh Duggal at 32 Pearls Multispeciality Dental Clinic at the state of the art Dental Clinic in Camp, Pune.
Dr. Deepinder Singh Duggal is the founder of the 32 Pearls Multispeciality Dental Clinic, Pune. He is extremely passionate to provide his patients the best in dental treatment by utilizing state of the art modern equipment. To pursue his passion, he regularly updates his professional knowledge and puts lots of efforts to keep abreast of recent advances in treatment methodologies. Deepinder has a special interest in Cosmetic Dentistry, Implant Dentistry and Full Mouth Reconstruction.