Tooth decay is damage that occurs when germs (bacteria) in your mouth make acids that eat away at a tooth. It can lead to a hole in the tooth, called a cavity. If not treated, tooth decay can cause pain, infection, and tooth loss.
How tooth damage occurs
- Tooth decay is caused by a special bacteria in the mouth using sugar from foods and drinks to produce acids that dissolve and damage the teeth.
- Festival Sweets, Sugar beverages have high levels of sugar and can significantly cause tooth decay.
- Regular and ‘diet’ soft drinks, sports drinks, energy drinks, fruit juices, fruit drinks and have high acid levels that can cause tooth erosion and damage and can result in loss of Teeth.
- Tooth erosion occurs when acid attacks the teeth to dissolve the outer surface of tooth enamel.
- Regular loss of enamel can lead to cavities and exposure of the inner layers of the tooth that may become sensitive and painful.
- Prevention of enamel loss is very crucial for the long term health of your teeth.
- Each acid attack lasts for around 18 minutes. Every time you take a sip of the drink, the acid damage begins all over again.
How to fight tooth decay and erosion
- Drink soft drinks only in moderation, if at all.
- Use a straw so your teeth are less exposed to the sugar and acid in the drink.
- Take a drink of water, preferably tap water that has been fluoridated, after a sugary or acidic drink to help rinse out your mouth and dilute the sugars.
- Protect your teeth by using fluoride toothpaste. Also, after drinking sugary or acidic beverages, don’t brush your teeth right away. Wait at least one hour so your teeth can recover and your enamel can reharden before you take the brush to them.
- Do not sip a sugary or acidic drink slowly or over a long duration. Doing so exposes your teeth to sugar and acid attacks for longer.
- Never drink sugary or acidic drinks before you go to bed – if you do so, the liquid will pool in your mouth, coating your teeth with sugar and acid.
- Drink water instead. It has no acid, no sugar – and no kilojoules.
- Use dentist assigned mouth Gargles every night before bed.
Dr. Deepinder Singh Duggal is committed to providing the best health and dental care available within a warm, welcoming, and safe environment. Our goal is to build long-term relationships with our patients and provide services that are customized and appropriate for each individual.
No matter your current state of dental health or feelings about your teeth, we are experts at helping move patients down the path to complete comfort and optimal dental health, function and aesthetics.
Dr. Deepinder Singh Duggal is dedicated to providing customized care to the discriminating needs of his patients. He offers options for your path to optimal dental health for a lifetime. Each patient is served on an individual basis with plenty of time for treatment and discussion of each visit to insure a comfortable, professional and personal relationship.
Still hunting for the right Dentist? Visit Dr.Deepinder Singh Duggal at 32 Pearls Multispeciality Dental Clinic at the state of the art Dental Clinic in Camp, Pune.
Dr. Deepinder Singh Duggal is the founder of the 32 Pearls Multispeciality Dental Clinic, Pune. He is extremely passionate to provide his patients the best in dental treatment by utilizing state of the art modern equipment. To pursue his passion, he regularly updates his professional knowledge and puts lots of efforts to keep abreast of recent advances in treatment methodologies. Deepinder has a special interest in Cosmetic Dentistry, Implant Dentistry and Full Mouth Reconstruction.